Thứ Năm, 20 tháng 10, 2011

The Truth About Killzone 2 & 3 controls (Education inside)

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I want to gouge my own eyes out when this topic comes up because of the blind fanboys. Why there is some kind of civil war within the FPS genre I have no idea and can only hold back the FPS genre from evolving like it has been.

The popular argument I'm speaking of, which most of you already know, is the "twitch" shooter vs the "heavy"(?) shooter. I'm fine with personal preference, and people having opinions on what they think is better and what have you, but when it comes to people actually praising a control flaw is what really ruffles my feathers--Yes, I said ruffles my feathers =D

Even if KZ2 or KZ3 for that matter had "twitch" controls, does not automatically make it COD, for obvious reasons. I want to take a quick history lesson and make a few points. The Call of Duty IP did not invent, nor is it the only IP with "twitch" controls.

So why always compare "twitch" controls to COD? Why not refer it to the "Standard shooter", because this is simply more accurate. People tend to do this though out of hate for the series, you can think of "twitch" as a prejuduce slur, because it's almost always used to put down COD's controls, when in fact, twitch controls did not originate with COD.

I can understand people not liking the floaty controls, but like it or not, they're RESPONSIVE. And responsive usually equals praise. Now this is where it may get more confusing so please try to stay with me.

Killzone 2 introduced a very heavy feeling type of controls, which was praised by the die-hard fans and people craving change within the FPS genre. The only problem, is there was a design choice to have a large dead zone (aka input lag). The heavy feeling was NOT, I repeat, NOT due to this. What created the heavy feeling was the acceleration while turning or momentum.

As in it took you awhile to start turning, then once you got going, it took a second or two to slow down or stop. People confuse this with realism and the heavy feel to the game. They think the large dead zone is what created the heavy feeling, when this is simply not the case.

Here's some examples:
It was virtually impossible to make minor adjustments in KZ2 pre-precision controls patch, because it took more than a 1/4 of movement of the analog sticks for it to register on screen. This does not in any way or form represent weight. What it does represent, is a hesitation of neurons sending messages from the brain to your body. So why people defend the dead zone to death is way beyond me.

Again, the momentum is what succeeded in representing a heaviness to the game. The second part of the argument is "realism". This where I find most of the humor (Sorry if it's at your expense). Momentum IS realistic, delayed messages from your brain to your arms/fingers/body is NOT realistic unless you're mentally challenged or have some kind of nerve and/or brain damage.

With COD, you had weight changes depending on your equipped weapon which = realism. KZ2 had the same weight for every single weapon which does not = realism. In COD, you could not sprint for long distances (Not including perks), in KZ2 you could basically sprint forever which again does not = realism. So while you guys swear about the heavy feel and realism, this is a huge contradiction to your argument.

Onto Killzone 3, it appears they got rid of the dead zone issue but kept the momentum. Which is a win/win for everyone, you have responsive (Which does not = twitch) controls with a heavy feeling. So why is everyone hating the "new" controls although they're not new, they're fixed.

BF:BC also have heavier controls, but no one complained about them, why? Because although they were heavier, they were responsive. You could give me a 300 pound obese character walking through molasses, as long as the controls are responsive, you won't hear a complaint out of me. Give me a twitch shooter with a large dead zone and feel the wraith of my bitching. Point is, I could care less about the weight of the game, it's the responsiveness is what I'm worried about, this should be a necessity in any game on any given day, anything else is asking to take steps back within the gaming industry.

Final notes:
I am only a fan of COD4, I am also a fan of KZ2, but more importantly I am a fan of FPS. And it will only hinder the FPS genre if we as a community defend bad design choices or defend something blindly for the simple purpose of being different regardless of whether it's a good thing or not.

To the non-believers, you know who you are, the ones saying "Stop complaining and get better noob!" or "You get use to the controls" etc. I played the hell out of KZ2, I had a 2.0+ k/d ratio (Better than usual for me), and could kill easily but it still doesn't mean the controls were responsive or you could make minor adjustments (This is mainly felt with ADS), or even good for that matter.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét